Lead Research Staff Member, Deep Learning Platform
IBM Research is the innovation engine of IBM. Nearly every game-changing breakthrough in the information technology industry has its roots in an IBM Research lab. It has been a home for creative scientific minds since 1945, when Thomas J. Watson Sr. established the first corporate pure science research lab in the U.S. We are primed to define the future of technology for many years to come specifically around the world of Artificial Intelligence. We believe AI will transform the world in dramatic ways in the coming years – and our Research AI group is advancing the field through our portfolio of research focused on three areas: AI Science, AI Engineering, and AI Tech. We’re also working to accelerate AI research through collaboration with like-minded institutions including MIT (MIT-IBM Watson Lab - http://mitibmwatsonailab.mit.edu) and individuals to push the boundaries of AI faster – for the benefit of industry and society.
The mission of the IBM AI Research/Engineering group is to create AI platforms and technologies that make it easy to build end-to-end AI systems at speed and scale. These systems are designed to create new partnerships between people and machines to augment and scale human expertise in every industry, from healthcare to financial services to education.
We are searching for a Research Staff Member who is a leader in the area of distributed learning platforms, with a depth of expertise in deep learning and systems engineering who has demonstrated significant technical leadership and a strong publication record in AI. As a Lead Research Staff Member, you will be responsible for leading projects and teams at the crossroads of machine learning, distributed systems, and cloud technologies to build bleeding-edge deep learning platforms. This will entail pushing the frontiers of AI to create a vastly simplified approach to deep learning that is accessible to everyone and democratizes AI. You will interact with the brightest minds in AI and will help bring AI research ideas into scalable, robust learning platforms. This position may also manage or technically direct other RSMs, engineers, and/or technical support personnel.
We want to bring out the best in you and expect you to do the same to us. Your proactive approach to creative problem solving will be essential to the success of our team and the company.
- Lead world-class research teams and projects on deep learning platforms, publish in top-tier conferences and journals, file patent disclosures when appropriate
- Contribute to the commercialization of the resulting assets
- Drive the technical advances of the platform and set strategic directions
- Work with a team of researchers as a technical leader to conduct impactful and hands-on research projects
- Build communities around commercial and open-source products
- Demonstrated communication skills and ability to work in a team are essential
- Ability to work independently with latest AI tools and frameworks
- Proven background, publication record and experience in dealing with one or more of the following areas of AI: machine learning, deep learning, distributed learning platforms, distributed systems and cloud.
- Experience with deep learning frameworks, large-scale system engineering, distributed systems, cloud, and software engineering
- PhD in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or related technical fields
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: hyper-parameter tuning, applied machine learning, automated distributed deployment and scaling technologies such as Kubernetes and Docker, experience leading and/or managing teams.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.